Sunday, May 13, 2012

New Friends By The Roadside

Leaving Bude on a relatively fine day, I crisscrossed the countryside leaving the fabulous Cornwall behind me and reentering Devon for about the third and final time for this trip. The plan was a leisurely 45 mile ride to the head of the Tarka Trail and from there I would cycle north and look for a suitable camping spot. Around 40 miles into my ride I rounded a corner and ran in two sensational people in John and Mary who were cycling old Raleigh bicycles to a vintage machinery and vehicle show. John's bike dated back to the early 50's if I remember correctly and was complete with rod operated brakes. He said it weighed about the same as a Ford Festiva, looking at the bikes build, I believe him.

After chatting beside the road for what could have been 20 or more minutes, John and Mary gave me directions to the show and an open invitation to join them in the beer tent if I was to attend. Well, I didn't need any further encouragement and after bidding farewell I shot off to find the start of the trail, whilst my new found friends in cycling took a locals shortcut direct to the show.

Upon reaching the point on the trail where I was to jump on the road for the final few miles to the machinery show, I initially headed the wrong way uphill, up a big hill none the less. Upon realising my mistake I had to back track a mile or two to eventually find the show in full swing. As I entered the gate John and Mary were nearby chatting with a friend. The weather looked to be deteriorating and I had passed a B&B on my way into the village so decided to ask the locals if it was any chop. As it would have it their friend Jan ran another B&B in a beautiful cob house just up the road and I was graciously invited to stay for the evening. Accommodation sorted, I took a look around the small but interesting displays then hit the bar with my two new buddies for what was properly one two many ales, but who's counting. 

The afternoon finished with all three slightly tipsy cyclists back at Jan's fantastic B&B for a welcomed warm drink.

It's days like this that will remain in my memory forever. 










1 comment: