Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Lock up your jandals and hide your chilly bins bro...


Captain Australia has arrived in town...

4:45am arrived and my alarm came to life rattling me out of a deep sleep, surprisingly I had slept well. Historically the last night before a big adventure my sleep is restless at best, I guess I’ve been busy over the past two weeks as there is a lot to take care of when you’re boxing up your life in preparation for a year on the road.

Upon check in I was pleasantly surprised when Air New Zealand only charged me $20.00 for my excess baggage, which included my bike. Then, for the icing on the cake, I was offered exit row isle seating. Well done Air New Zealand.


Upon arrival in Christchurch my original plan was to catch a cab to my accommodation for the evening and spend the following morning leisurely setting up my touring machine. However, as I departed the terminal into the warm sunshine, I could not resist bolting the beast together, attaching the panniers and hitting the road.

After checking into my little cabin, the afternoon was spent riding around the western reaches of the city whilst scouting out a supermarket for supplies and somewhere suitable for dinner. Tomorrow I plan on enjoying cycling around what is left of the poor, shaken up CBD.


My possessions for the next 12 months

Back in one piece

Simple but cheap and comfortable



5 comments:

  1. Hey Bro! where'd you get the cool glasses? And what about the blue polka dot pensioner bag?!

    Great to hear that you made it safely and cheaply across the ditch!

    We are envious already and you haven't even started touring. Look forward to following your adventures from back here in Oz.

    Enjoy the moment and don't get too OCDC.

    Peter & Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Captain Australia - you seem to be off to a flyer......John's trip to Cairns has been one muckup after another.......have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you arrived safely (with your luggage too), and well rested. Let the adventure begin......

    Raels

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look out on the road it's a bike, it's a large multiple colored moving road hazard, no it's CAPTAIN AUSTRALIA!!!!

    Looking forward to more exciting adventures...

    From all your friends in room 103!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff, looking forward to following your adventures.

    ReplyDelete