Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Up Close And Personal With Oamaru

I was fortunate enough to be invited to stay two nights in Oamaru with my Warm Showers host Chris, and his house mate Peter. I arrived on a Saturday afternoon and the following morning the town hosted a farmers market combined with the historic part of town opening it's doors for the day. Stall holders were all dressed in period costume, the old part of town really came alive.

Oamaru has a link with cycling dating back to the penny farthing. In celebration of this, each year the town hosts a penny farthing race around the historic streets of Oamaru. Every corner that you turn, there appears to be another cycling related poster or sign. I guess if I were to live in NZ, it would have to be in Oamaru.









No comments:

Post a Comment