Thursday, February 23, 2012

Ride For Hives

Even God hates Sandflies...

Leaving Wanaka I commenced cycling deep into sandfly country, Westland. It is well known that the west is hard on cyclists, both for weather and those pesky bloody sandflies. 

Two days into the ride I started looking like a leper, day three arrived and my ankles were swollen to twice their normal size and finally on day four I awoke to my whole body covered in extremely itchy welts. The poison had taken control and I now had an impressive case of what we believed to be hives. 

Thankfully Dannielle, my current riding companion, had a handful of antihistamine tablets in her first aid kit and 30km into the days ride the hives had started to subside. Reaching the small township of Te Taho we were dishartened to find the local health clinic closed. By miracle, as we were about the leave the local Doctor arrived to collect his car. A quick examination by the roadside confirmed hives and he graciously gave me additional antihistamine tablets for the following days. Dannielle and I finished the day just shy of 100km and Dannielle proclaimed the days ride to be the "Ride For Hives"


Unfortunately in all the commotion I failed to photograph my hive adventure. It was a wild experience and a sight to behold.





5 comments:

  1. Unbelieveable - how did you ride with legs like that? Someone is looking after you - a great riding companion at the right time and the Dr somehow just turning up!! Hope thats the end of the surprise photos - keep well. Love always, Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Darren, oh dear god, I am so sorry! sand flies are the WORST! My name is Robyn, and your Mum and my Mum are friends after meeting on the mediterranian cruise last year. They are now planning all sorts of trips, including here to Singapore and Asia, to stay with me! I have enjoyed reading your blog that your mum sent me. I myself used to live in NZ (North Island) but have visited most of the places you have gone to. I did NOT however ride! I dont know how you do it over those southern alps. Best of luck for the rest of your trip!!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. How painful. So, the kiwi claim of no creepy crawlies or biteys of any description is obviously untrue. Hope the pawpaw ointment is helping your recovery.

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant to comment on your beautiful swollen ankles and how they look very similar to my 86yr old fathers. Didn't you take your Bushman's friend insect repellent?

    Peter

    ReplyDelete