Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Riding Baldwin Street

Using your very best Jeremy Clarkson impersonation..   
"The steepest street, IN THE WORLD" 

So, in a moment of pure madness, I decided that climbing Balwin Street by bicycle would be a great idea. Leaving my hostel the temperature showed 11 degrees, windy and overcast. Ahh, the perfect weather for a ride. 

Baldwin Street is 161.2 meters long and rises 47.22 meters over its length making the average gradient 1 in 3.41. At its steepest point, the gradient increases to a staggering 1 in 2.86 and is officially listed as the worlds steepest street by the Guinness Book of records.

Turning into Baldwin Street, there was no stopping and no looking up, for to stop and look may have registered insanity. The street climbs gently at first but is was not long before granny gear was selected and every scrap of oxygen that I could muster was being sent to my screaming pistons. I started climbing in the saddle until the front wheel started lifting with each pedal stroke. Out of the saddle I was using all of my upper body strength to try and keep the front wheel straight, each time I stood on the pedals the bike tried in vein to turn left and right under the load. 

Reaching the steepest gradient I knew it was going to be a battle, all of my weight was required to turn the crank and it wasn't long before, due to pure exhaustion, the bike swung sideways and my attempt was done. Baldwin Street had beaten me, and only 40 metres from the top.


Looking Up

And Down

Almost Made It

An Finally, The Bit That Beat Me



3 comments:

  1. I am glad you didn't make like a jaffa and roll down the hill (they have annual jaffa races down Baldwin Street. Not sure how they determine the winner)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a vid getting around of Taiwanese guy riding up there on a fully loaded touring bike featuring flat pedals, and he makes it. I still have no clue how he managed it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread - maybe too much chocolate

    ReplyDelete