Friday, April 20, 2012

Loosing Interest Quickly, Why?

Unfortunately I'm rapidly loosing interest in this touring gig. Is it England? Is it the weather? Is it spending too much time away from family and friends? Is it too much time with my own thoughts? I guess it's a combination of all of the above. Where to from here is anybody's guess. 

Tomorrow I head further west and further into the unknown. Only 27km was completed today before I through the towel in. A combination of an unrelenting headwind, nasty hills and a lack of enthusiasm killed the day early. Perhaps 10 weeks on a bike is enough for this little puppy. Perhaps I need a good touring companion much like the many I rode with in New Zealand to distract me so the voices in my head saying go home and give up don't have a chance to take over. 

Tomorrow is another day and hopefully I'll awake with renewed enthusiasm. I at least need a revised plan of attack as the status quo ain't working...

6 comments:

  1. Darren,

    Have a couple of days off and recharge doing the normal tourist things. You have made the big commitment to do this thing and if you pull out now I think it will be one of your greatest regrets.
    Everyone I talk to who have done the England thing feel the same but once they get to Europe it all changes for the better. Night and day different. Ask yourself why the Poms spent so many years building the British Empire, every where they went was better then home.
    Also this blog is way too good a read for you to stop now
    From room 103

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Darren, I'd be thinking not to give up but to create a new strategy. Head somewhere sunnier and calmer perhaps - come back to the UK in July? 10 weeks on a bike is a really impressive feat by the standards of 99.9999% of the population (I considered that number, didn't make it up). Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dazza

    What the... do what all the other guys do who put themselves in mentally tough situation.. do something silly.. I expect some nudity, knome theft an post card positioning :)

    It is the weather, you come from a place where the sky is blue and clothing is sparse.. I am guessing this is not the case where you are so use those thoughts for evil :)

    We are all rooting for you.. no pun intended.. keep grinding it out till the next good thing happens, it always does, to kick you along and be happy you started this Odyssey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep at it Darren, I read your blog at my desk....I know where I'd rather be....'nuff said ;)

    Glen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the supportive comments everybody, it is very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Darren.... I am pleased Peter forwarded you a photo of my new bike - what Peter did forget to mention in the FEATURES was "Young, good looking Australian Woman" buys new bike !!! Thought those few words were a neccessary addition!!
    Life's adventures occasionally slow down and take an unexpected side-track but a positive attitude, good food, fond memories of family and friends see us continuing to follow our dreams. Stay with it and keep those pedals turning.......Regards Narelle B. xo

    ReplyDelete